Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Siri, Microsoft Cortana are the best known examples of a growing category of technologies, called voice assistants.
Indeed, the usefulness of these solutions in the personal and professional field is increasing as they gain in robustness and richness. Already, they provide a bridge of communication between you and all your connected devices, they are answering questions, playing music, placing orders online, etc.
Technically, a voice assistant is a digital assistant that uses speech recognition, speech synthesis and natural language processing (NLP) to provide a service through a particular application.
Amazon Alexa is probably the leading voice assistant on the market, it offers more connectivity options with a variety of supported devices, it is more open and offers the possibility to create custom applications (skills) for your needs.
Why using this solution ?
- Voice assistants make it easier and more efficient to manage daily activities.
- They will save your time.
- Touchless, which limits unnecessary contact with exposed surfaces, especially during this pandemic period.
- Voice assistants will be ubiquitous in the near future for the simple reason that speaking is faster than typing, and we, humans, always look for quick solutions.
- We can create custom applications (or Alexa skills) for you. Skills that answer your specific needs.
- We can develop these skills either for private use or publish them in Amazon Alexa’s store for public use.